fot

RE: brakes rubbers

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brakes rubbers
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:31:12 -0700
Nice recipe. I'm going to have to do something about my rotors this year.
They're getting thin and the longitudinal cracks scare the tech
inspectors--and a few alert spectators. I'm not fond of Hawk pad material. I
find Performance Friction 93 to be really wonderful and easy on the bits. I
haven't tried carbon-Kevlar. I'll give the cryo treatment a try--it does
seem like snake oil, but odd things happen at very low temperatures. I'm
reading "A Different Universe" (and almost understanding it) by Robert
Laughlin who won the Nobel prize in Physics for his superconductor work. His
discussion about phase changes and movement of nuclei in solids at
superconductor temperatures leads me to believe there might be some rational
explanation for why it would help.

I drove my 360 at a Ferrari track day yesterday and was looking over the
brakes on a Enzo that was there getting wrung out. Massive brakes, and the
rotor material looks like it's partially carbon. They looked kind of rough
surfaced, but it was probably just material deposition from the pads. Fast
car, though I was able to stay with him for a couple of laps by really
pushing the 360. then my tires started going away and I decided I'd feel
really stupid if I rolled my toy.