fot

Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:14:16 -0500
Part 2 of my longish message...

Maybe a spec tire isn't a bad idea - I'd run the Dunlops if everyone else
did and I didn't give up 2-6 sec per lap...

There are other non-"competition" but possibly fairly sticky tires that ARE
available in 195/60r15 (Yoko AVS ES100, $74; Sumitomo HTR 200, $40; Kuhmo
Ecsta KH11, $45 for example - these were pointed out by Tim Murphy to
me).  I suspect that these tires won't stand up to the rigors of racing,
though.

Tim, I think a tire test would be a very valuable service to the FOT
community (at least those of us that need to run 15" tires).  We're all
searching for a better answer than the current Hoosier.  It would take me a
couple of years or more to work through all of the above possibilities.

What's funny is that if the Hoosier went back to the 4 race life we used to
get this discussion probably wouldn't be happening.  I think that's a
perfect example of short vs long term gain.  Tire life decreases, short
term tire sales increase; long term tire sales decrease as folks shop
around and become satisfied with other brands.

I would probably try this in the following order:
Yoko A048 60 series,
Yoko A032R hard compound, shaved
Kuhmo VictoRacing V700, shaved
Kuhmo Ecsta V700
Then I would start in on the ones that look like slicks...

- Tony Drews