fot

Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)

To: GRMTim@aol.com, kas kastner <kaskas@cox.net>, FOT
Subject: Re: TR3 and TR4 tires (part 2 of 2)
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:48:18 -0700
Just did a search on Tirerack.com for 195, 205, and 215  15' 60 serries
competion tires.  Excluding the two Kuhmo Rally off road tires, there
areexactly two that match: the Yoko A048 in 205 [$179] and the Hoosier
R3S04 [$182].  There are no Kuhmos in 60 series.

I have used Yoko AVS Intermediates on the track -- not shaved.  OK for a
street tire.  Tend to chuck off pieces of the tread where it meets the
sidewall [not sue about whether the pressure was "proper" for the tire
or the grip I wanted].  I use these as rain tires on track days -- they
let go real esy, but then I was defintiely not using the right
technique.  According to Ross Bentley in one of his Speed Secret books
[Professional Race Driving Techniques], you want to "enter corners
later, and induce slip from the very moment you enter a corner in the
rain.  Enter every corner slightly faster and make the car understeer.
Once it is sliding, keep the speed up by squeezing the throttle.  If you
feel like you are on rails, you are going too slow."  I have not much
experience,so I tried to keep it on rails [and when that failed, made
pretty little loops a coupel of times].

Chuck