fot

Vintage Boat Races...

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage Boat Races...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:37:31 EDT
So, my buddy sez "Let's go to the boat races, it's wild!". Now I live on one
of the largest lakes in California and can hear hulls slapping the waves and
big blocks screaming as they push their props thru the viscous waters all day.
I've even seen the water skiing races where the water skier, dressed like the
Michelin man, gets dragged around a course at triple digits, so "a boat race"
didn't seem all that wild. ...Until he told me its held on the local stock car
track!
It seems some demented criminal type decided it would be good fun to combine
a demolition derby with aquatic adventure. First the water truck soaps down
the track with soapy water, then the sprinkling system keeps it wet. An
assortment of boats from peddle boats to 30 foot runabouts are then dragged
behind an
assortment of old race cars, street vehicles or trucks onto the track. The
last vehicle running with a boat still in tow is declared winner. The object is
to destroy everyone else's boat, while going fast enough to keep your boat
seaworthy.
Oh, the humanity...
With 30 vehicles and assorted craft on a half mile track, all bedlam breaks
out at the drop of the green!!!

As my old neighbor used to say, "I've been uptown, downtown and seen Tobacco
Road twice, but I a'int never seen nothing like this"!

Its amazing what free time, a race track and a brain will come up with...

Still in shock,
             Nick in Nor Cal