fot

Experience with A048

To: henry@henryfrye.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Experience with A048
From: JFrymark@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:01:09 EDT
Henry,

I finished my first race weekend on Yoko A048 tires . Buttonwillow raceway
was run in a new track configuration so I can't compare lap times.

I think the 048s are very close to the 008 tire in feel and grip. With the
car set, I could take a long sweeper as quick as ever. Turn-in on tight corners
was very predictable, but not as crisp feeling as the shorter sidewall Kuhmo
V700 50-series tires. Break loose was very predictable and throttle steering
through a tight RH corner very controllable. After the tires "came on" after a
lap I noticed little fade for the remainder of the 20 minute race. I won my DP
class race and I'm certain I was running as fast as I ever have at this track!

As for wear, I run negative camber (IRS car) and wear is on inside half on
the rears. I rotated F to R mid weekend and dropped pressures to 24#s. Wear was
very comparable to the A008s. I did not shave these tires. I predict I'll get
at least 4 race weekends (but will probably re-mount these directional tires L
to R to balance wear after the next weekend). This compares to 2 weekends on
Hoosier TDs and maybe 3 weekends on the Victoracers.

I'm satisfied with these tires and if Yokohama drops the price per the SCCA
chatter, I'll grab another set. As for the tread pattern, it's ugly and doesn't
look "period", but I'm guessing the tread will be visible down to the last
runs. Remember the A008s were 1/3rd "slick" in the old tread pattern.

John Frymark
VARA DP #67