fot

Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?

To: billsohl@mindspring.com, s.janzen@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?
From: JCJCarrera@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:24:05 EDT
I pull an 18' Pace with a TR4 plus parts, gas, etc. My tow vehicle is an 01
Suburban with a 5.3 liter gas motor, towing package, oil cooler etc, Going up
and down I-5 on the West isn't much of a problem. Being an x-Easterner, sort
of  like the hills of PA and upstate NY.

However, on a recent trip to Iowa to pick up a street TR4A from Joe
Alexander, the tow was a chore going over the mountain passes of WA, ID, etc,
even
with an empty trailer. Some of the passes were close to 7,000 ft. Needed
another 50 HP and 75 ft lbs at 1,000 rpm less peak and a fifth gear in the
tranny!
The diesel haulers with trailers in tow just motored on by me as my  tranny
shifted down to second and strained at 4,500 RPM to maintain 50 MPH.

My 96 Tahoe with the 5.7 ltr motor was a better hauler, but not by much.
Sure love the room in the Suburban.

Good luck in your search, JJ