fot

Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?

To: billsohl@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Recommendations?
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:28:01 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/2005 11:12:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
billsohl@mindspring.com writes:

Yikes is  right.  You'd probably be illegal in NJ towing
a 22 foot trailer  without trailer brakes.
NJ law requires trailer brakes for any  trailer
weighing 3000 pounds or more.

==AM==
In an admittedly weak defense of my own foolishness, mine is an old
homebuilt, open, single-axle trailer that I don't think weighs more than  1000
lb (if
that). Even with a 1700 lb. Standard Pennant on it, it would have  been well
under that 3000 lb. limit. Even my old '74 Volvo wagon could tow a car  on this
trailer without undue strain. Other than that one instance with the
Explorer, I never had a problem towing (or stopping) with that vehicle. I think
 it
helped that the factory towing package essentially put Ford Bronco running
gear
underneath an Explorer chassis (which I found out the hard way after
struggling to install and then UNinstall a replacement driveshaft u-joint --
said
failure not related to towing, btw -- and finally matching the original to  one
for a Bronco.

Ford did a great job with the original Explorer and its two package, at
least mechanically. In 217,000 miles, I never had to touch the clutch or
gearbox.
If only they could have done better rustproofing and other silly detail  work
(like door hinges and latches and a bunch of other really poor quality bits
and pieces)!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and Triumph Herald
Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)