fot

Car Classification -.... and RULES

To: Group44TR7@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Car Classification -.... and RULES
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:29:28 EST
In a message dated 12/2/2005 8:08:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Group44TR7@aol.com writes:

I  personally believe that it is important
for FOT itself to encourage that  cars be prepared to the appropriate SCCA
specification of its original  racing era. I am therefore am actually
supportive of
CVRA efforts to keep  racing both historically correct and affordable.

ABSOLUTELY!
OK, here's my plan. Get rid of the webers, wazoo ignitions, jap gearboxes  &
brakes, fiberglass, etc. Castings should have "Stanpart" on them. Require
carburettor & ignition system type as original. Bodywork & suspension  specs as
per period GCR/PCS. Spec DOT tires. Limit engine bore size. Establish  &
enforce minimum weight rules. Safety related mods including Southwick  (Uncle
Jacks)
RAX & front hubs, aftermarket brake masters, upgraded  electrics, etc all OK,
actually encouraged. Component upgrades within model  range OK. Allow modern
roll bar/cage design for safety reasons (no quasi tube  frames). Wheel
diameter as original, rim width open but must meet bodywork rules  ie "no part
of the
tire shall be visible when viewed from above, bla, bla...).  Modern seat,
drivers gear, fire suppression system & other safety related  equipment
obviously
mandated.
These are just a few points worth considering but they do make a  difference.
SCCA has proven that these rules DO work but we've also seen what  happens
when those rules become too relaxed. THAT is one of the things that  killed
SCCA
Production racing. For the cost of preparing & maintaining a  competitive
Prod car, one could buy a Ford or FC. It's ironic that they're  trying to get
it
back again with the limited prep class.
I have to admit that, as much as I hate rules in general, I have to agree
that something really needs to be done. I also support those groups that are
trying.
JMHO of course,
Safety FasTR,
Glen
(now CERTAINLY the most unpopular person on the FOT  list...)