fot

Re: new topic-oil coolers for my TR4A

To: cak@dimebank.com, fot@autox.team.net, rkramer3@austin.rr.com
Subject: Re: new topic-oil coolers for my TR4A
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:40:12 EST
In a message dated 12/4/05 9:57:02 AM Pacific Standard Time, cak@dimebank.com
writes:

<< John Lye used a MGB fresh air grille for the intake on his TR3, and it
looks *really* good. >>

I recently replaced my oil cooler with a Greg Solow MGB oil cooler on my
TR-3.  When I took the cooler out of the box, it said not to support the weight
of
the cooler by the mounting ears.  As a result, it was mounted in front of the
radiator, not on the side of the radiator where the other one had been
mounted.  The theory was that the higher velocity air along with a larger
oil/air
temperature differential will remove more heat from the oil and will leave less
load on the radiator.

Of course, openings around both sides and the top of the radiator are
shrouded off.  The metal (now slightly damaged Roadster Factory fiberglass
nose) is
cut back from the radiator on both sides and shoved down.  The resulting
openings on each side are closed in with thin aluminum sheeting.  A piece of
flat
aluminum bar runs across the open space in front of the radiator with the oil
cooler mounted on its side.

My cooling seemed to have greatly improved.  I still have the heavy
copper/bronze radiators, but not the original cores with the crank hole in the
middle.

Another variable is that my machinist opened up the valve ports, and
installed new guides and hard valve seats in the head that I had been using for
years.
 After the work was done, he gently skimmed the mounting surface to clean it
up.  This activity revealed an invisible hair line crack where a piston had
come up and hit the head.  I may have been running with this problem for a
years, which would cause some overheating.  Resent past discussions said that
all I
had to do was to throw some Bard's Stop Leak in the radiator.