fot

rod breakage survey

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: rod breakage survey
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:32:17 -0600
  We didn't have nearly as many respondents to the question as I
expected, but --

It seemed to me prior to asking the question all the rod-related
failures I had seen were on #2 or #3.

The survey said three instances on #3 and four instances on #2, with
several respondents telling of failures due to other causes. There
were no reports of failures on #1 or #4.

Our engines have the front and rear mains lubed by one hole, and the
front and rear mains each feed one rod. The middle main is also fed
by one lube hole but it feeds two rods. We know that this is a
problem in 1500 Spits and Kas solved it with some extra drilling.

I'm preparing a new block for my engine and I'm drilling out the
center hole from 5/16" to 3/8" - not much but it's what I can get
away with. It's really hard to nail down the cause / effect, but it
seems to me that drilling it out can't hurt anything and might, just
might, help.

uncle jack