fot

RE: front caliper question

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: front caliper question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:51:18 -0800
> There are 3 types of brake caliper for the TR2 and TR3 as you rightly
> indicate - the first 2 are awful to get parts for

Interesting ... those parts are fairly easy to find here in the US.  The
only part not readily available is the cross-over tube on the "type 1"
calipers ... but they are relatively easy to fabricate.

> Type 1 is the alloy caliper which ran on the TR3 from TS 13046 up
> to about
> TS 56000

It's possible some of these were alloy, but all of mine have been cast iron.
Heavy buggers, too.  But IMO they work very well ... even with an entirely
stock system and wide, sticky tires I have no trouble locking the front
wheels when I want to.  The bigger rotors (than the "Type 3") may help, too.

> Type 2 was a cast steel caliper which was also used on the early
> TR4's (so
> TS 56377 / TS56 384, thru the TSF series TR3B's and to CT 4387TR3 This is
> what people refer to as the 'long' caliper. Pads are the same as Type 1.

Pads are the same, but the springs & retainers are different.

> Types 1 and 2 used the same fittings kit and they appear equally
> difficult
> to repair as the placement of the cylinder and dust seals is very
> fiddly.

It's been a lot of years now ... haven't had to touch a caliper since I
switched to silicone brake fluid over 10 years ago ... but I have done the
job and I don't recall it being all that hard.  It does take some finesse to
keep the piston from tilting as you slide it into the bore.  If it starts to
tilt, you must immediately apply pressure only to the opposite side to
straighten it out, or else you'll have to remove it again.  Generous
lubrication with silicone brake fluid or brake grease helps too.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO :(now totaled :(
56 TR3  TS13571L next project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project for sale
57 TR3 TS21731L "someday concours restoration project" rusting quietly 2000
miles away