fot

RE: four cyl diesel

To: "Gasket Works USA" <gasket.works@gte.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: four cyl diesel
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:23:32 -0500
>   From: Mordy
>
>   Why is it that we don't have a good reliable domestic 4 cyl diesel? >

Excellent question, Mordy. Anybody that travels to Europe and rents a car
these days will be stunned at how many cars over there are diesels and how
fun they are to drive. I spent a week this past July driving an English Ford
Escort wagon with a little diesel around Italy. The only time you knew you
were driving a diesel was when stopped. It clattered and shook a little.
Power off the line was acceptable, on the open road was better than
acceptable. The torque was amazing. The Europeans are using technology today
that makes very nice diesel powered cars. They don't smell. They are not
loud at speed.

Unfortunately, the trend here in the States seems to be all about power, and
not many people want to pay a premium for a diesel engined car that is
slower than it's cheaper, more faster gas engined counterpart.

It's a pity, I would drive a diesel car if I needed a good economical long
distance cruiser, but the offerings in the States don't do it for me. And I
don't really need a good economical long distance cruiser!