fot

Re: tranny's

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tranny's
From: "TR4Tony" <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:42:51 -0000
I run an ST close ratio gearset in my rally car gearbox and it is excellent
on long tarmac tests. My only issue is the tall first gear which im just
removing and replacing with a standard TR6 item  - this is because I do lots
of starts (shorts blasts) and you need very high revs and some clutch
slipping to get away with the tall 1st. 3rd OD and 4th overlap on the ST set
so you could change 3rd, but I use a toggled logic device on a switch to
fire the OD unit so its very useful to wing in 3rd OD when you really need
4th, but want it quick (600psi OD unit and hard clutch material - like being
sit by a 303 round when it comes in).

The gearbox's I run (I have 3 in rotation, 1 standard, 1 uprated but
standard ratio's, 1 monster as described above) are actually  converted stag
a type overdrive units (this is becaise of the stronger botton end in the
gearbox and also they are easier to source) with a very high spec OD's  -
but this is a rally thing unless you have big circuits as in Europe. I
believe a lot of the circuit guys over here run non overdrive CR saloon
boxes (and drop back to the low first gear). In europe I believe there are
more ODs as the tracks in use are longer.

There is also a straight cut set available in the UK for the TR / stag box
(I think MOSS retail them also) - apparently these are superb and little or
no clutch is necessary to change gears. You just tickle it in ....

Regards

Tony