fot

RE: Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:18:53 -0800
> I could never get the bars adjusted to not have some
> taper--as the bar extends down the bore a lot more bar gets on the wobbly
> side of the bushing. Single point cutter and a long bar equals tapered hole.

FWIW, one of my lathe books shows an "improved" setup for boring cylinders.
It's a rather large diameter, apparently hollow bar, with a fixed rather than
movable bushing so the length of bar outside the bushing remains constant.  They
also used a dual-point boring head on the bar.  The description is for boring
small single-cylinder engines, but I don't see why the same thing wouldn't work
for a TRactor motor liner.

The other thing that comes to mind is mounting the boring bar between centers.
The setup would be a bit tricky, getting the liner mounted just right on the
cross-slide, but I'll bet it would be more repeatable than a long, unsupported
bar.  And again, using a bar around 3" in diameter would help rigidity too.

Randall