fot

RE: [FOT] off-on-on toggle switches

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] off-on-on toggle switches
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:59:59 -0800
I left this one alone, but it's bugging me. the way that the over-center
quick closing switch mechanism works in a quality toggle swtich would either
require a fat swtich--as fat as a DPDT--or a very low rated second contact.
You'd be better off from a reliability standpoint with a pull switch of
equal quality. Another option is an on-off-on switch and a DPST relay.
Clumsy, and I wouldn't like it for my own purposes, but here's how:

In the first on position the relay is energized--the normally closed
(unenergized coil) contacts are open, and so the equipment being controlled
is off. In the off position the relay is de-energized so the equipment is
on. In the second ON position the second piece of equipment is energized as
well as the first since the relay is still de-energized.