fot

[FOT] Re: Front Spindles

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Re: Front Spindles
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:42:46 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Seeing that this project is likely to move forward, I want to pose this
question to the list:

If you've tried to seperate a stock axle stub (aka spindle) from the
upright with significant force (say a 30-tonne press) and the parts do not
seperate - does that indicate that the parts are junk? Or does it mean
that more "persistance" is needed, say a 50-tonne press?

I have a feeling that the Kastnerian response is "junk belongs in the ash
bin, Bob", but I figured that I'd ask anyway.

Along the same lines - what is the quality quotient of the new uprights
that seem to be available from the various sources? Possible responses are
"okay for racing", "okay for a street car that gets more wax than fuel"
and so forth. I'm not trying to cast aspersions, I'm just trying to find
out if the parts are suitable for racing.

rml
p.s. Khartu now has a real roll-cage, so that hurdle is "out of the way".
Seeing that I just got a clean bill of health from the doctor, I'm running
out of excuses related to getting this thing on a road course. Yikes!