fot

[FOT] Sabrina twin-cam

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Sabrina twin-cam
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:39:39 -0500
Amici,

I have had some email contact with Paul Herbert in the UK, who raced one of
the
Sabrina twin-cams.  I thought y'all would enjoy his memories:

"I many years ago had as my first competition car a TR3, not an ordinary one
but one of the ex factory works test cars that ran at Le-Mans with what was
known as the Sabrina engine, 2 litre with double overhead cams, with 2 big
bulges at the end of the cam covers that looked like breasts and were named
after a famous British actress of the time called Sabrina who had rather
large breasts and was known for displaying them,they were also know as
Double Knocker engines also after the lady, the cars bodywork was
fibreglass, wings, bonnet, boot, think that relates to fenders, hood and
trunk but it was most unreliable, drank oil and had a very flexible body
shell, I ran it in hillclimbs for about 12 months but it nearly bankrupted
me and divorce was almost pending so I sold it and bought a Bugatti, just
more trouble, but all turned out ok in the end and here I am still married
after 41 years, ask any of the old Triumph experts and mention the Sabrina
TR3's and wait for the reaction they were remembered fondly -by some mostly
those who didn't own them or have to bear the running costs but I sure wish
I still had it today would be worth a fortune, such is life".

Cheerio,

Shane