fot

Fw: Fw: [FOT] Sabrina twin-cam

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Fw: [FOT] Sabrina twin-cam
From: "michael cook" <mlcooknj@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:38:05 -0500
The FOT in general_

Below is a message from Graham Robson proving my "memory" about the TRS
wheelbase is incorrect. Graham also provides a good explanation of what I was
probably thinking of - putting the Sabrina engine in a TR with a normal
wheelbase.

Graham notes he is not suffering from dementia - neither am I :-) but you know
how it goes: "Memory is the second thing to go and I don't remember what the
first one is!"

Sorry folks. Next time I'll do the research first.

Mike

Mike,

  I don't know how to say this, but I am afraid you are wrong. As far as I
know, I have never said that Le Mans TR3S and TRS cars had normal-length
wheelbases.

  I have ALWAYS reported that they had wheelbases 6 inches longer than normal
push-rod ohv TRs - see various books I have written on this subject.

  I have just checked back to April 1959, when the TR3S first appeared at Le
Mans test test. In several authoritative magazibes - AUTOCAR and MOTOR among
them - that six inches was quoted, clearly from a Standard-Triumph Press
Release on the subject.

  Incidentally, only recently I interviewed design engineer David Eley (88
years old and sharp as a tack), who confirmed that it was on his watch that
the six-inch longer wheelbase frames were designed and built.

  - - - - - - - - - -

Where you may be confused is that, more than once, I reported that a de-tuned
Sabrina engine was once inserted into a normal (i.e. normal-length) TR4, when
the engineers found that the extra length of the engine could just be
accommodated into the normal-length frame. I do believe, however, that things
like water radiators and chassis tubes had to be re-arranged to make this
possible. This happened in 1961/1962, after I had joined the company, but I
was not personally involved in that short-lived 'look-see' project.

  So there it is. Unless I am suffering from dementia, I do not recall ever
saying that the TR3S and TRS cars had normal-length wheelbases .... nor did
they.

Best Regards,

GRAHAM ROBSON