fot

[FOT] Re: Leasing Vintage Cars for Movies

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>,
Subject: [FOT] Re: Leasing Vintage Cars for Movies
From: Bill Manning <gripdad@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:18:28 -0800 (PST)
Jeff,
I've been working as a Grip and a Teamster in the
motion picture business for the last twenty five years
and the cars are generally well cared for but there
are exeptions. If it would upset you if the car was
scratched I would not consider renting. During the
making of a film there are a lot of people running
around with heavy equipment and accidents happen. You
should ask if the car is going to be a "Hero" car, or
a "Background" car and will the car have cameras
mounted on it or be driven in the shot. If you do rent
the car make sure you get a Certificate of Insurance
naming you as the additional insured and the loss
payee for at least $1,000,000. You should also draw up
a rental agreement which exonerates you of any and all
damages plus stipulates your payment schedule and the
cars usage.
     I would not rent them my Sunbeam Tiger because I
would not want to see it scratched and they would
probably not pay for a whole new rotisserie paint job,
but if they needed a Spitfire race car we could talk.
It might be a good way to write off some race expenses
since the car is being used in the pursuit of income.
Good luck.
       -Bill Manning  IATSE Grip Local 80 and Studio
Teamster Local 399