fot

Re: [FOT] Leasing Vintage Cars for Movies

To: "Jeff Snook" <jsnook@wcnet.org>,
Subject: Re: [FOT] Leasing Vintage Cars for Movies
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:42:19 -0500
Hi all,

At 03:36 PM 3/21/2006 -0500, Jeff Snook wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have been approached to lease a couple of our cars to a film production
>company for a movie.  They say they have lots of insurance coverage so that
>should not be a problem.  The cars they are considering are not show cars, but
>daily drivers.
>
>I have never done this before and would appreciate any input from someone with
>experience or knowledge in this area.
>
>How much do you charge for this kind of thing?  Any special conditions to
>include in the lease?  Should I not even consider doing this?!

As some of you know, about 25 years ago, MGM rented my TR-3 for
the movie "Diner".  It was a really great experience for me.  They were
wonderful to work with, they treated me very well.  In fact, they invited
me down to the set whenever I wanted, and fed me lunch when I showed
up (and movie crews eat well!).  I even got to meet and talk with Kevin Bacon,
who was driving my car in the movie, for a few minutes.  They offered me
$100 per day (in 1981 dollars) with complete insurance coverage - they
guaranteed that the car would be returned to my satisfaction - and they
paid in cash...

It was great fun for me.  If you do it, I hope that you're as satisfied as
I was.  Feel free to ask, if there's anything else I can tell you.

I hope that helps,

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net