fot

RE: [FOT] Time to replace the harness

To: "'WEmery7451@aol.com'" <WEmery7451@aol.com>, henry@henryfrye.com,
Subject: RE: [FOT] Time to replace the harness
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:38:53 -0700
Are you referring to a sternum strap? I didn't know harnesses had them. It
would be a nice addition with a Hans device since the belts tend to ride off
the edges. I also like the idea of 2" shoulder straps.

I agree about the Hydrogen Embrittlement--what nonsense! You need a high
hydrogen environment (we injected Hydrogen into the primary coolant systems
of pressurized water reactors to remove free oxygen--with the highly
energetic gamma field the oxygen combines with the hydrogen nicely) or a
very unusual form of welding, or a runaway cathodic protection system to
even _think_ about hydrogen embrittlement, and then it's only likely to
occur if the part is under constant and very high tensile stress. It's an
unusual condition, and if you leave the parts alone for a little while in
ordinary air and room temperature the Hydrogen diffuses out and the parts
become ductile again.