fot

Re: [FOT] Help on CR TR4 Tranny---popping out of 3rd gear.

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Help on CR TR4 Tranny---popping out of 3rd gear.
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 01:19:12 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: N197TR4@cs.com
To: fot@autox.team.net
Sent: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:19:25 EDT
Subject: [FOT] Help on CR TR4 Tranny---popping out of 3rd gear.

I shouldnt use this tranny until I can fix it.

The C/R set came from BFE and the tranny is a TR4A

Coming out of the throttle after high speed run in third.

What might have been a nuisance segued into a disasterous overrev.
Banana shaped rod................

What transmission pieces are needed to be replaced so that it does not do
this? I'd like to get this back together before Blackhawk Farms for Father's
Day

Weekend.  I have most of the pieces for engine rebuild.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Joe Alexander

Joe-
Common causes of the "pop out" syndrome are usually traceable to the 1st/3rd
motionshaft bearing.
As this wears it allows the shafts to get out of alignment and put enough
pressure on the syncro
hub to force it off of the gear. Additionally, the syncro hub may itself be
worn as well, again
causing the problem. The worst cause is a bad case. I have found several cases
that were never
bored concentrically (was the case ever cracked and welded?) so that the gears
actually
wore enough to cause the problem.
"broken gears and tears"
          Nick in Nor Cal