fot

Re: [FOT] Kastner D cam?

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <mjb@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Kastner D cam?
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:41:07 -0500
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what cam is in the engine of the
race car we are restoring by degreeing the cam.  I'm using a degree wheel
with a pointer and have the dial indicator set up on the valve spring
retainer rather than on the push rod or measuring tool.  (We are in the
process of making a new head and I only have #1 intake and exhaust valves
installed.)

Anyone see anything wrong with this approach?

So far I have (at 0.015 valve clearance):

Exhaust  0.463 valve lift, Opens 80 degrees before BDC, Closed 30 degrees
after TDC, 290 degree duration

Intake  0.477 valve lift, Opens 50 degrees Before TDC, Closed 65 degrees
after BDC, 295 degrees duration

Valve overlap 80 degrees

I have to recheck the TDC and then verify these readings.  I also want to
get a reading every 5 degrees and map the profile and if I get ambitious see
what kind of acceleration I have in the valve train.

This looks to be somewhere between a S-5 and a G-3 cam from Kas's book.  Any
thoughts from the list on this cam and what it is likely to be would be
appreciated.

 The valve springs are single coil of slightly larger diameter than stock
with an inner flat coil.  They sit on large washers or shims that sit in the
head recesses under the springs.  I think I should continue to use these
springs as they were probably specified for this cam.  I will be checking
spring rates this weekend and comparing to the stock springs.

Final note: The original head was milled 0.225.  We had a burnt valve which
started the disassembly.  some of the guides are worn at least 1/16 inch!  I
think a classic case of rocker mis-alignment as described in Kas's book.
I'll be checking that later this weekend also.  For these reasons we are
starting over with a stock head and preparing it for the car.