fot

Re: [FOT] Nice place

To: mjb@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Nice place
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:48:10 -0600
Bob Raub who heads up 3R Racing here in Colorado, and who has spent time
at pretty much every road racing facility in North America, says Miller
is the finest in America. Not only for its amenities but for track
layout. Even the pros in World Challenge had not figured out the best way
'round the place while they were there. His only complaint was with the
VP fuel vendor who had product at $9.00/Gallon.

Nostalgia Racing has an event there at the end of June on the east
course. Bob indicated that to be the ideal for the combination of tight
and technical. On the big course the World Challenge cars ran in the 3:00
range, and with 23? corners to learn there might be a fine line between
fun/frustration for a two day weekend with short sessions.

What really smarts to folks here in Colorado, Larry Miller bought a
humble little track north of Denver, in Mead. He had plans to expand it
and make it usable for bigger events. With the help of the folks running
Pikes Peak International Raceway, south of Denver, who convinced every
voter in Mead that racers and their supporters are alcoholic, drug
dealing, murders, rapists, and the like, they voted it down with 86%
against. PPIR also did the same for a Penske proposed track in Aurora,
east of Denver. PPIR got paid back for their efforts when the
International Speedway Corporation (NASCAR) bought them, shut them down,
revised the paperwork for the land making it impossible for there to ever
be a racing facility there again, started parting the place out. Last
rumor, the land becomes a National Cemetery, next to Fort Carson.
After all that, the Town of Mead had the gall to ask the motor sports
community to support a car show the town was putting on.
Mead kissed away $70+ million and future tax and event revenue.
Some people's kids!