fot

RE: [FOT] Re: TR6 Headers

To: "'Robert M. Lang'" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Re: TR6 Headers
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:30:51 -0500
Hello Bob,
I too have a Falcon header and was until recently using a Cannon intake as
well.  I had trouble with the fit also, even though mine is a wide port
(later) head. I did not have the same problem as you with tube interference.
I had to dent in the header on #3 with a ball peen hammer to get the nut on
the stud, but my major problem was the thickness of the Cannon flange
compared to the header's flange.  The header had approximately a 1/8"
thinner flange which caused the "shared wobble compression washer" to bind
at the stud and not allow the header to seal against the head properly. (How
about that for making-up a name when I don't know the real one.) I found
this out upon removing the header and intake and replacing the gaskets.
Does your header take all 6 to one outlet and is it in one piece?  Or is it
in two pieces taking 3 each to separate exhaust pipes?  Mine is the latter
and I also had to shave off about 3/8 inch from the frame flange to get it
to clear below. I don't know if you're a believer in wrapping headers, but
if you are get on some gloves and wrap it BEFORE it is installed. Mine is
now quite and without that tin can sound and the compartment is noticeably
cooler.

Don Carter