fot

Re: [FOT] Total Seal Rings

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Total Seal Rings
From: herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:58:59 -0400
My experience is rather limited and about 10 years old, but I bought a
set of Grant (cast iron, I think) rings for my autocross Spitfire 4 and
sent them to TotalSeal for conversion. I believe it's the second ring
only that they convert. I was very happy with the quality and speed of
the work, and I was just as happy with their performance in the
overhauled 1147.

Only downsides were that a: they didn't improve my autocross skills in
any way, and b: I was no longer requested to bring my car to places
where insects were a problem (before the overhaul, one cylinder had a
top ring cracked in seven places. And in what I was told at the time
was some old racer's trick, none of the four pistons had second rings,
so there was plenty of opportunity for crankcase fumes to be pumped
through the exhaust).

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.