fot

Re: [FOT] Re: Hoosier Speesters

To: joe dirt <oldskooling@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Re: Hoosier Speesters
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:12:01 -0700
That sounds pretty strange, but then I never did understand Porsches.
You get more top end with a narrower contact patch, but it shouldn't
add up to four seconds worth unless that track has no corners. If the
tire is wearing in the center, and the temperature in the center is
higher than the edges, then the pressure is too high. I can't think
of anything good that comes from that.

Generally radial racing tires work best with the lowest pressure that
will keep the sidewalls from rolling. Some people hate the feeling
they get from that kind of setting, but iin my experience it's
fastest. I'm going to have to get a set of these puppies pronto and
find a test and tune day to play with them. I'll be astonished if I
wind up with anything over 30 pounds, but you just never know.

I've found that extreme camber (five degrees) worked very well on my
Radical at some tracks that had long straights and very high speed
corners. I could get a higher top end and handle the high speed
corners without lifting. But the low speed corners got touchy.
Different tracks, different cars, different tires.