fot

[FOT] Dry sump progress-Long

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Dry sump progress-Long
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:46:13 EDT
to set the stage,
about five years ago a friend offered me his old Weaver dry sump pump that
he ran on his TR-5 back in the day.  It came with a couple of scavenge  hoses
and a pair of Aviaid scavenge filters.  The price was OK so I picked  it up but
wasn't entirely comfortable with going to the extreme in
Vintage.  I was still working on oil pumps and flow.
Later, I picked up a Peterson 3 gallon tank from E-bay, (paid too much)
thinking that if I went to dry sump someday I'd be ready,
Years go by and I explore all the niches,crooks and crannies and still am
not satisfied with the oiling in the GT6 motor.
After the last event, coasting to a stop at a turn workers station, I said
enough!  Let's do the dry sump!

So, to today.

The pump was already good. It will mount where the alternator was  before.  I
already had a 1" Gilmer belt setup running the water pump (with  a 1/2" belt)
so that part is complete.  Several years ago I cobbled an  alloy dry sump pan
that is now endlessly WAITING a welder to finish a revision  intended to
include a tangental crank scraper.  The tank is mounted to the  roll bar hoop
on
the passenger side and there's now a set of Weaver bulkhead  fittings on the
firewall.  As soon as I can win the lottery or get a  mortgage on the house I
can buy -12 plumbing to connect it all together.   There's a new canton filter
with -12 fittings and a 19 row cooler to fit  somewhere up front.  That's about
all I see.  Can't wait to see what  I've overlooked.

Cripes, it's amazing how diminutive the old -8 lines look now.

Steve