fot

Re: [FOT] Hot of the wire

To: Gary <vintage.racer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Hot of the wire
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:54:55 -0700
I'm headed there to watch the race. Going to fly down to San Diego
and ride the FZ1000 Yamaha I keep there up to Laguna for the race,
and then bring it up to Oregon to register it here. Got to bring it
back to SD at some later date since I do a fair amount of riding down
there.

I'm very much looking forward to the race. MotoGP is simply the best
racing in the world, it makes F1, NASCAR, and almost everything else
on two or four wheels look like a lame parade. If you haven't seen
one of these races on Speed Channel you're really missing something
amazing and historic.

Not only are the bikes and track superbly camera'ed up so you can see
everything, but the quality of the races is astonishing. Valentino
Rossi is perhaps the greatest motorcycle racer of all time, and this
year three Americans are challenging for the title. Nicky Hayden is
leading the championship race currently, and he's a throughly amazing
racer as well. the passes these guys make will stop your heart.
Sometimes they are literally leaning on each other at 150plus.

What we're seeing is guys that were literally bred to race (all the
leaders are from multi-generation racing families, Hayden on both his
father's and mother's side), who have raced motorcycles since they
were two or three, aboard the most sophisticated and highest power to
weight racing vehicles on the planet. Unlike auto racing, every major
manufacturer (except Harley) is fully committed to winning and is
pouring millions and millions into MotoGP development. Bridgestone
and Michelin are slugging it out on the tire front, advancing MotoGP
tires far beyond anything you see in F1, simply because the state of
the art in motorcycle race tires is immediately obvious to the first-
time race watcher.

Other than that it's nothing special.