fot

[FOT] Bush's Triumph

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Bush's Triumph
From: "Gregory Hertel" <Gregory.Hertel@tel.tdsb.on.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:11:50 -0400
Further to a discussion item on this conference a few months ago re:
George Bush's ownership of a Triumph, the following AP story appeared a
few days ago.  Too bad the story doesn't identify which Triumph was Bush's
first car.

Cheers!

Hertel

Automotive nostalgia at the top
St. Petersburg, Russia

It apparently doesn't matter what status some men attain in life.  There's
no pride like that frist car.

Russian President Vladimir Putin showed off the white compact he drove as
a student in 1972 when U.S. President George W. Bush arrived last Friday
night for a social dinner on the grounds of the 18th-century Konstantin
Palace.

"Look at this car, Laura,"  Bush told his wife as he spotted the
Soviet-made Zaporozhets, in excellent condition, parked outside the
cottage where the two couples dined.

After they gave it the once-over, Putin proudly told reporters in English,
"It's my first car."

Bush said his first set of wheels was a British-made Triumph.

Putin responded that it must have been a bicycle.  Bush, an avid cyclist,
brought his bike to Russia and spent time riding.

The two presidents also got to drive around in a pair of the 30
fuel-efficient, low-energy cars used to transport heads of state at the
Group of Eight summit.  The cars look more like golf carts, and apparently
that's what Bush thought they were.

"I like the golf cart,"  said Bush, who rarely gets to drive himself.  "I
feel free in zipping around the roads."

Associated Press