fot

Re: [FOT] BPNW lightened steel flywheel

To: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] BPNW lightened steel flywheel
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:14:12 -0500
Henry,
Thanks for the offer. This morning for comparison I measured a TR3 engine I
have on my own floor and pulled an old starter. Since the starter pinion
gears come at the flywheel from opposite directions I measured the edge of
the gear closest to the block in the engaged position from the block/starter
bolt-up surface on the starter. Then I measured the back edge of the ring
gear from the same location on the blocks. Everything except for my Hi-Tech
starter measured in the 1.066 to 1.099 range. The Hi-Tech starter measures
only .857 and, and it's a big and, the wear pattern on the gear shows only
half ring gear engagement. With the new flywheel it's not quite reaching the
ring gear. I think I had an incorrect starter in my TR4 and it worked at
half engagement. I'd bolt up an aluminum flywheel and measure that but I
used the ring gear. I'd love to know the specs for the non-bolt on ring
gear, but I still need a trustworthy starter. I'm going to order a correct
starter and I bet it works.

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com