fot

RE: [FOT] Old, hard, rubber washers;

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Old, hard, rubber washers;
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:26:00 -0700
> Is there something I can use to soften old, tired, hard rubber
> washers.  The
> rubber washers on my Aeroscreens are an odd size, and have become
> hard.  I
> would like to replace them, but have not found them anywhere.
> Any tricks for
> softening up the old ones, which still look good, they are just
> not very pliable.

Silicone spray.  But check the can to be sure it doesn't contain methylene
chloride (not many do today, but some used to).  Saturate the surface of the
washer with it, and repeat several times.  Leave it sit overnight (or
longer) then wipe away any surplus.  It can't restore any cracks that are
already there, but works wonders for pliability.

Also good for preserving rubber weatherstripping, like that around car
doors.  Was a factory-recommended service on my Audi 100LS (which is where I
found out about it).

Or, you could just buy some rubber sheet and cut some new ones from it ...
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Randall