fot

[FOT] Trans Mount

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Trans Mount
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:26:01 -0400
Fellow gear bangers-

Here is a thought on how to maintain a bit of flex, and yet thwart the
feared "tranny flop". I've used this for some time and it seems to just
keep keepin on...but then I'm kinda lo-tech.

Drill about a 7/8" hole into the trans mount crossmember directly below
each trans mount hole. Obtain bolts long enough to go thru the trans,
mount and all the way down thru the crossmember. The bolts must be
treaded all the way (I've even used threaded rod to make up some
"bolts"). Drop the bolt down thru the trans and run a washer and nut
all the way up to bolt the trans and mount together. Then run another
washer and nyloc nut up on the bottom side of the trans and stop before
the nut actually contacts the trans crossmember. This keeps the trans
and mount isolated as was designed, but the longer bolts keep the whole
magilla from shifting so far as to break the rubber mount apart. This
setup also protects against major movement when unintended impacts are
encountered, while still allowing the unit to "float" when "normal"
driving is desired.
By changing the size of the holes in the crossmember, you can vary the
amount of movement desired.

Stock mounts seem to last forever with this setup.

Broken Gears and Tears...
                Nick in Nor Cal

and IM. All on demand. Always Free.