fot

Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>,
Subject: Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:20:15 -0700
Ah yes, free horsepower from ram air. This is a favorite subject of mine. Lots
of experiments and study of the effect.

The prime thing I found was that cooler air, near the roadway, was a better
giver of free bhp  than anything else.  It takes a lot of speed to actually
get an ram effect. Now if you use a corrugated flexible tube you just tossed
all chance of ram out the window for as the speed increases the wall drag of
the tube and reduces the effective diameter to half of  or less, how
disappointing. Smooth tube works though.

 If the ram tube is led directly to the carburetor inlets you can have the
problem that the car will not run very well at anything but light throttle.
Why? The slight ram and I mean slight will give the carburetor more pressure
than the float bowl fuel sees, thus the float bowl will not flow the fuel.

Fix this by making a box for Webers that includes the float chamber inlet and
on S.U.'s just connect the float lid overflow pipe to the air tube with a
piece of hose. Still problems with miss fire etc, poor high speed running?
Probably it is the turbulence in the box and the carburetors are not getting
equal air, and in fact may have choked off some of the inlets opening. Fix?
Cut a hole in the back of the box the size of ONE carb butterfly (if that is
better but still a little problem, increase the hole size 50%)  and make
certain the box extends well past the inlet of the rear carburetor inlet.
When you are all finished, you'll have spent  some money, some time, some
labor and testing and for this probably will not gain a single horsepower
because these boxes (car shape) do not operate at the speeds needed for true
ram effect.

 Cool air? Yes, now you're talkin'.

Never Be beaten by Equipment
Kas Kastner