fot

Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 07:04:23 -0500
Scott,

We didn't used to run one on Susan's spitfire until we ran VIR a few years
ago.  VIR has pea gravel all over the paddock.  What was happenign with
Susan's car was she would start it up and head out onto the track and then
she would come back in because the engine was revving up even when the
throttle wasn't depressed.  Finally after several days of tinkering with
everything that we could think of, as she headed out of the paddock she
stopped real quick because the problem occurred not 20 feet from where we
paddocked.  Thanks to the sharp eyes of Bob Kramer he noticed a small rock
holding open the piston on the rear carb.  That was making it run lean and
rev up rather rapidly.

What was happening is the pea gravel was imbedding itself in the soft
tires and as she would accelerate the gravel would bounce around under the
bonnet and eventually get sucked into the carb.  Needless to say she
didn't go out onto the track again until we found the airhorn socks at
Victory cycle.  Once those were installed on the car the revving problem
went away.

Whoever thought of putting pea gravel down in a paddock area should be
drawn and quartered.  Its hard to imagine just how  many small rocks got
sucked into the engine before we found the problem.  Fortunately when I
pulled the head this past winter I found no internal damage.

Brad
(Suz's crew chief)