fot

Re: [FOT] Oils & Coolants

To: jimcun2001@yahoo.com.au
Subject: Re: [FOT] Oils & Coolants
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:22:38 -0400
Jim Cun asked:

>           I figure you guys might be able to help! I would like to know if
>anyone is running synthetic oil. It is my understanding that the TR3 engine
>should use mineral oil. Also what type of coolant are you using?

No comment on the oil, as I do not run a wet-liner motor.  But I use
just water and Redline Water Wetter for coolant.

I used to use Nalcool, a supplement coolant additive (SCA) for diesels.
This is a great rust inhibitor.  I switched to Water Wetter because it does
the same job and is more readily available.

Most modern anti-freeze products are designed for alloy motors,
and are very high in silica (sand).  We need older types of anti-freeze
for our cast-iron motors which is low in silica.  Be aware of this when
hunting at Pecker Boys.

Shane Ingate, keepin' cool in Maryland