fot

[FOT] Goodwood

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Goodwood
From: JOSEPH HUGHES <tr5racer@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:24:59 +0100 (BST)
The aluminium bodied TR4 Charly refers to is known as the Triumph TR4 SLR. The
SLR stands for Sprinzel Lawrencetune Racing as the car was built and raced by
Chris Lawrence and Neil Dangerfield in the mid 60's. A TR4 was fitted with a
sleek aluminium E-type-like body, crafted by Williams & Pritchard and raced in
1964 by Neil Dangerfield. It was, however, dogged by problems mainly due to
under-development including problems with a cross-flow head that Chris had
developed. The engine was also bored out to 2598cc! Neil sold it back to Chris
in 1967. There were also 3 Morgan SLR's built with near identical bodies but
only one TR4 based one featuring a large power bulge in the bonnet.
  It is a beautiful car and I have seen it several times as the mechanic that
looks after it is based not too far from me.

  Mike Hughes

Yahoo! Photos  NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.