fot

RE: [FOT] 110 MIG Welder

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] 110 MIG Welder
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:01:06 -0400
I use a Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 with the gas kit. It was the cheapest
Lincoln available when I bought it, and it does a decent job on little
stuff. If I was doing anything more than the occasional weld job with
it, I would find it quite frustrating. It has 4 preset power settings,
but wire speed is infinitely variable. The wire feed is the Achilles
heel, you need to get the spool tension just right.

I tend to use my 220V stick welder more often than the MIG, I have had
great success with it using small diameter rods on lots of stuff.

If you end up with a new welder and it comes with a roll of rosin core
wire, don't use it on anything you care about. That stuff is nasty.

And the best money you will spend on welding equipment is a fancy
auto-darkening helmet. I still have not bought one, but everybody says
this. What I do is weld in bright sunlight. I can almost see what is
going on before striking the arc!