fot

RE: [FOT] 240 Z brake drums

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] 240 Z brake drums
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:46:46 -0700
> Stock 240Z drums have a rear lip that fouls TR backing plates.  The lip
> is machined off of the TR ones from Autospecialty drums.

Right.  I've been told that even machined to fit on a TR6, the drums still foul
a 9" TR3/4 backing plate.  Plus, stock TR6 drums will foul the backing plates on
my TR3A, lending credence to the report.  YMMV of course.

> As for the stud
> hole sizes, a drill will take care of any such problems (if they exist),
> although I think that the Autospecialty drums have 12mm holes, which are
> slightly larger than the stock TR6 drum stud holes (TR6 has 7/16" studs
> stock - does TR4 have larger studs?)

The studs used on the solid-axle TRs screw in from the face of the hub, and have
a shoulder that serves as a stop.  The drum has to fit over the shoulder, which
is about 9/16" diameter.  Certainly no problem to drill, if you have a 9/16"
(plus a scosh) drill handy, but not exactly a bolt-on experience either.  Unless
of course you've changed the studs for ones that screw in from the back (but
apparently they are NLA).

Randall