fot

Re: [FOT] Sway Bars

To: <triumph_marx@freenet.de>,
Subject: Re: [FOT] Sway Bars
From: norlinengineering@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:48:58 +0000
I'm finding this a very interesting conversation, particularily since the
welded rear end has entered the topic.  I currently race a Spitfire with a
welded rear end and no rear sway bar.  The car handles really well.  Years ago,
I raced a C Sports Racer that was a converted formula Ford with a welded rear
end.   Both cars, but the CSR in particular, need to be driven hard in order to
work right.  Driving the CSR at anything less than 95% was difficult due to
terminal understeer.  The only way to drive that car was to pitch it into the
corners and hammer the throttle.  The Spit is similar, but not nearly as bad.
BTW, the welded rear end is worth about 2 seconds a lap at Portland in both
cars over an open differential.  From my experience, the rear bar on most cars
should be used for fine tuning the overall balance.  I've done a lot of
analysis of spring and sway bar setups on small formula cars, and the rear bars
typically account for a very small percentage of the overall r!
 oll sti
ffness.

Jim Norlin

From: <triumph_marx@freenet.de>