fot

[FOT] To tank or not to tank, that is the question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] To tank or not to tank, that is the question
From: m-syork@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:23:40 +0000
Amici
Last year my son and I picked up a spare TR3 engine from a fellow that was
using it as "yard art". It was under a tree wrapped in a black garbage bag. The
head was off but the pan was on and it was upside down on rotten scrap lumber.
After sitting in the corner of my shop (with the same garbage bag around it)
I'm finally getting around to a rebuild. After stripping everything off the
block that I could, I sprayed the piston/sleeves with Kroil and left it for a
week.
Monday night I got 2 pistons out (#s 2 & 3). They were easy to disconnect the
rods from the crank because of the position of the crank. After removing the 2
pistons I reached into the block to try to turn the crank and almost fell in, I
was shocked that the crank spun freely. I got the remaining pistons out so the
only think left is the rear seal and the crank).
The engine is a real mess it's got about an inch of greasy dirt both inside and
outside the block. I know that Kas doesn't like to hot tank an engine but this
thing is a prime candidate.
So what's the verdict; to tank or not to tank? And if I do tank it, what do I
need to watch out for as far as "soft" metal plugs, journals, etc.
Tanks in advance!
Mark