fot

[FOT] Re:

To: "Andrew Gibson" <a.r.gibson@bigpond.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Re:
From: "Gary" <vintage.racer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 07:27:47 -0800
Andrew:

I agree with Henry's comments.  I have run the 185 Speedsters on my 1962 TR4
(w/o limited slip diff or negative camber on front) in three events this
year.  Grip seems to go away slightly as a race gets into the final laps.
Typically we run about eight laps and for the first five laps, I can pretty
much take any line through a turn I choose.  After this, I begin to
understeer into fast corners and oversteer coming out of slower corners with
the power on.  Very predictable and fun if you like this sort of driving.
However, I would prefer they stay consistent throughout a race

I have tried different tire pressures and for me, it seems that around 33
lbs cold works the best.  Tire wear is good as it looks like I could get
another two to three races out of the current set.  I rotate the tires front
to back after each race.  I've never tried other tires with the exception
that I did run once with an old set of Yokohamas A008 which is not really a
good basis for comparison.  When the current set of Speedsters wears out,
I'm thinking of trying the next size up, the 205s.  Good luck.

Gary
62 TR4