fot

Re: [FOT] blow-ups

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] blow-ups
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:30:34 -0800
If you were using very heavy race oil, like straight 50 sae or possibly 40
sae, and it was very cold in the early morning when the engine was first
started, the pressure drop accross the oil filter element might be so high
that the filter could collapse or ortherwise fail. You want the filter to
bypass under conditions like this. Once the oil is over 140 degrees or so,
we want all of the oil to be filtered. Increasing the spring pressure might
be a better idea. I so know the blocking the by-pass so it will not ever
open is something that is done on engish ford engines, but they typically
run maximum oil pressures around 60 psi. while on my "tractor engines" we
usually run maximum pressures around 90 psi.

                        Greg Solow