fot

Re: [Fot] SCCA Archives

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SCCA Archives
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:35:32 -0600
I run 87 mm.  I've got enough questionable things (in terms of
"vintage") on my car from its SCCA autocross days that are difficult
if not impossible to change that I wouldn't feel right if I cheated
on engine size.  The other stuff I can justify in my mind since I
don't think I get a performance advantage from them (the rear disk
brakes are offset by the extra weight of the Ford 8" based axle, the
flares just look cool).

Plus, as an ex-SCCA car, it needed to be the legal 87mm bore and
that's the way it came to me.  I gotta tell you, the first time I
took the engine apart it was neat to see the care that had been
lavished on it (thanks John!).

Note that I'm NOT accusing anyone who runs bores larger than 87mm to
be "cheaters".  It's just that for ME, that's where I draw the
line.  I am more concerned with a good race with a good friend with a
vintage attitude than anything else.  How he (or she) prepares his
car is his business.  I'm just happy that I can play with them.

- Tony Drews