fot

Re: [Fot] Testing an engine

To: mjb@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Testing an engine
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 01:09:26 GMT
When we ran the dyno in the engine lab in college we just ran the coolant
hoses into a trough of water.  Nothing too fancy.  Since then the school now
has nice dyno cells to contain the bits as they fly off failing engines.  How
did we ever survive?  Now that I think of it that's where I started loosing my
hearing). You would just need a stand (old frame) to support the motor from
moving around.  Hook up a battery, fuel line, exhaust tubing and the water
trough and away you go.  Joe(B)

-- "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net> wrote:
So saturday evening we had the annual potluck dinner and planning
meeting for the British Motor CLub of Utah.  I won't annoy you all
with an in-depth report, but something did come up that I've been
mulling over today.

I put together a TR3 engine for a club member, it is still sitting down
at Bailey's.  I made the comment that once he picks it up and installs
it in the car, it will fire right up and run like a champ.  Honest, trust
me!  But it got me to thinking that it might be nice to fabricate some
sort of, uh, engine containment device such that one could drop in some
motor, hook up coolant, electrical, etc. and actually see if the motor
really will fire up and run.  It might be nice to find minor leaks, or
major problems, before actually going to the effort of installing the
mill in the car.

Anyone have any experience, thoughts, warnings, etc. on such a scheme?

--
mjb.

http://fatchancegarage.com