fot

Re: [Fot]  Winter???

To: Gasket Works USA <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot]  Winter???
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:58:10 -1000
If you want to really get serious you should look at the new ethanol
systems being built. They build an ethanol plant next to a feedlot in
the middle of corn country. Put the manure in a digester to get
methane gas and use the solid effluent for fertilizer, Make mash from
feed (corn, etc.) and ferment it to get alcohol, feed the converted
mash to the cows (with unconverted feed for carbohydrate supplements)
use the methane to distill the alcohol. With the consolidated
transportation costs and lower energy costs for distillation it turns
out to be nearly 2 to 1 energy return. Only works in a limited number
of places, but you're already making hamburger.

Back in my science fair days a buddy of mine built a closed ecosystem
on similar principles. Mouse manure fed algae that converted CO2 to
O2 in sunlight. algae got fed to the mouse. whole thing ran on
photocells. The mice died--not enough vitamins.

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com

bnj  Website for Babcock & Jenkins, a direct and interactive agency

  Subscribe to Ponohouse  -- living and playing in Maui. Or paste
this in your browser: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PonoHouse

  Subscribe to AllAluminumTour  -- touring and racing classic North
American tracks in a custom Airstream trailer. http://
feeds.feedburner.com/AllAluminumTour