fot

Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue

To: tony@tonydrews.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue
From: malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:39:36 -0400
Tony-

The hip bones connected to ...no wait this is tranny talk. However, its all the
same. Usually due to "vigorous " shifting or just old age, the "top hat"
bushing in the trans on the mainshaft breaks and allows too much endfloat. This
in turn usually pounds the little bronze bush in the center of the planetary
set. When this goes away, everything moves waay more than any engineer ever
thought it would and the bushing you're looking at is usually the recipient of
all the load and it too goes away. Sometimes that bushing, just out of spite,
spins in the housing or breaks all on its own. In either case the end result is
the same...there never was a replacement available that I'm aware of. So, time
to get the lathe out and whittle one. or replace the housing!

Broken gears and tears.....
              Nick in Nor Cal