fot

Re: [Fot] [TR] sleeved thermostats

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] [TR] sleeved thermostats
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:26:37 -0500
Teri, you hit it on the button. I should start reading your site
before I post questions like this.

Vintage racers, myself included, have tried all the combinations in
an attempt to get their cars to cool. I've run with stock bypass,
with no bypass, and with a bypass with a small hole in a plug. The
reason we fool with this is that with the bypass, a certain amount of
water bypasses the radiator under all conditions. For cars with stock
radiators, the cooling system is less than marginal for racing, so
plugging the bypass to get more water through the radiator is
theoretically better.

When I started racing, my car was always running 200 - 220 deg. I
tried absolutely everything to cool it down, to no avail - better
ducting, water wetter, all that baloney. Then I installed a $175
Chevy aluminum aftermarket radiator and now it runs so cool that I
have to use a thermostat to get it warm enough to run right. My
humble conclusion from that is that these cars just don't have enough
radiator for North America. My kudos, though, to those who can solve
the problem with the better fan or an electric fan for traffic. That works too.

At 09:06 AM 4/3/2007, you wrote:
>Jack W. Drews wrote:
>>  But out of curiosity, what's the current opinion on the original
>> purpose for the sleeved thermostat design? I've got my own
>> opinion, which is probably wrong, but I'm interested in the
>> current thinking or the historical evidence.
>
>My opinion is in my web site.
>
>www.tjwakeman.net/TR/thermostat.htm
>
>TeriAnn
>
>Your messages not reaching the list?
>Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html
>
>===  This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register
>===     http://www.vtr.org
>
>===  Help keep Team.Net on the air:    http://www.team.net/donate.html

>===  Archives at http://www.team.net/archive
>===  http://www.team.net/the-local