fot

[Fot] EGT readings

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] EGT readings
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:53:28 -0500
Dad just finished installing an EGT in my Spitfire (very handy,
retirement).  At about 2,500 to 3,000 revs (no load) we're seeing temps
of 1000 degr. at the front probe and 1250 degr. at the rear probe.
We're looking for an air leak at this point, naturally.

But what is "normal" for exhaust gas temps?  I'm assuming that the 1250
degr. is pretty high for not being under load or at full revs.

The probes are approximately 1.5 inches down the header tubes from the
head, if that makes a difference to anyone.

Scott B.