fot

Re: [Fot] [FOT] Sanding brake pads?

To: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] [FOT] Sanding brake pads?
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 20:36:41 -0700
It's fairly standard practice to grind pads flat again after using them in
calipers that are not particularly rigid. You do this to get them flat again
because they get a taper during use. this is the only kind of "sanding" I'm
familiar with. If you are trying to bed the pads this won't work at all, you
need to get pad material transfered to the rotor, and heat the pad enough to
drive out the volatile compounds in the pad surface that will otherwise
insulate the pad from the disk.

The only way is to do what the manufacturer says for bedding, which is usually
to brake hard a few times, and then let the brakes cool and rest. Overnight is
best.

> On my '74 TR6 used right now for autocross, I am changing
> front rotors and putting in new pads.  Since this car is not
> a driver and I tow it to event, the pads will be brand
> spanking new for my next autocross event.  I have read about
> sanding the pads.  Is there any particular grit or technique?
> If
> not, I guess I'll use something like 100 grit and just touch
> the face up a little.
billb@bnj.com
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net